[Kernel] Franco Kernel

S

Semenchkare

Stammgast
Francos idea for a kernel is pretty simple, focus on performance while not sacrificing the battery, and doing this without adding lots of crap code to the kernel or patches

* Initramfs with the usual stuff (root, CWM support, recovery etc)
* Partitions properly mounted in the ramdisk to take the most out from the device
* VM values tweaked up for maximum performance/battery
* Ondemand governor properly tweaked - features 10k sampling rate for more fine grained samplings
* CPU frequency transition latency decreased to 40k instead of stock 100k
* I/O boosted - I feel this is the most important setting in the Android kernels
* CFQ I/O scheduler by default - most of the Android kernel devs choose to work with deadline or other schedulers, but after deep testing a proper tweaked CFQ for flash devices proved me as the most reliable choice
* CFS task scheduler properly tweaked for the best multi-tasking experience
* CFS Autogroup added
* TCP Veno congestion scheduler by default as its more suitable for this kind of devices
* Kernel stripped of debug shit - the only debugs that stayed were: logcat, printk and kallysms (for Voodoo Louder support)
* Patched up to 2.6.35.13 from the mainline kernel channel
* CRC32 library that is used by a lot of internal kernel mechanics completely patched up to the latest versions
* Compiled with Tree RCU Fast No Hz for further battery savings
* The usual Franco's magic
* SLQB memory allocator
* Lots lots more that I will remember later and add it back here...

Changelog:

* Conservative set as the default governor - gave it 10k sampling rate like I did on Ondemand and gave it a 80 up_threshold, a bit lower than the stock value. This will make the governor scale up a bit more often, making the system a lot snappier while maintaining a good battery balance
* Added SLQB memory allocator - I usually tend to use SLUB, but I decided to give this one a try this time and it proved to be a great choice
* Dynamic Hotplug disabled - we want the system to have both cores always enabled. This means two things, means it will help a lot for the race-to-idle (the fast we go into idle the more battery we can save), and it means the amount of overhead that was created during onlining/offlining cpu1 is gone since hotplug is a very costly process to the system
* Power Management patches from the mainline kernel
* EXT4 driver patched up a little bit
* EXT4 write performance regression fixed (regression is when a newer introduced code fucks up, unintentionally, some other code, in this case the regression was fixed)
* Lowmemorykiller driver patched up for a better memory management
* Sleep of death issue should be fixed
* Introduced VMAP_AREA_CACHE - for more information visit this old commit from me

* Patched 2.6.35.14
* Add RWSEM algorithm
* Add CIFS and TUN as modules to /lib/modules/
* Add MDNIE tweaks from SpeedMod
* Remove MALI tracking/debug (increased 1 fps on Nenamark 2 with this disabled)
* Some other small tweaks and optimizations

#3.1
* Sleep of death fix and smooth scaling - I previously had patched the wrong file. cpufreq.c is not compiled for
this device since it has CONFIG_S5PV310_HI_ARMCLK_THAN_1_2GHZ defined
in the config. Thanks garyd9 for pointing that out to me.

* Nothing is changed besides the kernel version number - the application didn't like the .X subversion naming

* MDNIE tweaks removed - they caused bad screen sharpness and weird colors.
* Ondemand default again and tuned for a better performance/battery experience
* Revert RWSEM algorithm patch - just for safety precautions
* Sleep of death should be fixed now (I hope
tongue.gif
)
* Reverted 2.6.35.14 as well
* Increased USB charging power - not it charges as fast as on the wall charger
* GPU clocks changed a bit - now minimum clock is 200mhz(up from 166mhz), 2nd clock is 266mhz and third clock is 300mhz
* Some minor tweaks and optimizations in hope for the same battery life as #2 =)

* Completely rebase of the kernel - kernel source is back to 2.6.35.7 and it will stay like that as I don't want mainline kernel patches to fuck up code like there was no tomorrow.
* Kernel rebase also means that I was a lot more careful when choosing the code that I wanted to add which means: more performance, better battery and more stability
* Ondemand is the default governor
* Deadline is the default IO scheduler (for testing purposes)
* GPU clocks are 200min and 267max
* USB charging as fast as the wall charger
* Kernel is clean like a baby's wiped up ass

* GPU max frequency increased from 267mhz to 400mhz
* Ondemand patched up a little bit - use system workqueues and removed deprecated code
* Fixed fuel_gauge wakelock
* Compiled with arch specific compiling flags
* Added a reasonably big patch to fix some CONFIG_NO_HZ issues - battery improvement
* CFS parameters changed a little bit as well

* #7 Ondemand patches reverted
* Ondemand tuned for battery - it only ramps up if load is > 98% instead of 60% like it was before
* GPU clock decreased to 300mhz from 400mhz
* Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP from Google - should improve internet speed
* Removed the config option that skips loops per jiffy calculation - now both cores run with the same loops per jiffy value as it's should be
* Added jRCU and made it default for testing purposes
* Some small tweaks and optimizations

* jRCU removed
* Tree Preempt RCU by default
* Revert TCP patch from Google to ensure stability
* Remove GPU overclock - I want stability and no crashes or pixelated screens
* Tuned up few parameters on the ramdisk

#10 (der letzte Franco Kernel für Gingerbread)
* Complete rebase from the newer Samsung's source
* Applied all previous patches that can be seen from my repo
* Stable, fast, reliable and awesome battery life

Original-Thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1491428

Downloads:
Kernel -> http://minooch.com/franciscofranco/Galaxy Note/franco.Kernel-10.zip (im CWM Recovery flashen)
Updater App (Market) -> https://market.android.com/details?i...co.kernel.note
Updater App (Android Pit) -> http://www.androidpit.com/en/android...or-Galaxy-Note

Achtung, man braucht vorher ein "sauberes Gerät".
Hatte man vorher andere Kernels, Thunderbolt Scripts oder "Zeugs" aus Custom ROM's, ... weg damit.
  1. Zuerst eventuelle Profile von Set CPU, Voltage Control oder ... deaktivieren, damit sie beim Boot nicht geladen werden
  2. Kernel Downloaden und auf die SD Karte kopieren
  3. jBroid Kernel Cleaning laden, auf die SD Karte kopieren und im Recovery (nicht über das CWM App) flashen
  4. Im Recovery bleiben und den Kernel Flashen (install zip from...)
  5. Reboot und fertig.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Danke
Reaktionen: Reddy, Druindor, Phoenyx und 7 andere
Den kann ich nur empfehlen. Ein merklicher schub an performance. Mit abstand der beste kernel von allen. Jedenfalls bei mir mit checkrom v5.

Hat den schon mal jemand beim RocketROM im Vergleich zum Abyss 3.8 getestet?

Mit Abstand der smootheste Kernel fürs Note, nutze ihn seit gestern morgen und bin einfach nur begeistert.

Sent from my GT-N7000 Galaxy Note

Gerade im Test unter RRv22...
Läuft 1a, smooth. Bin gespannt auf den Akkuverbrauch - berichte dann.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk

mal schauen wie es unterm goatrip läuft :D

Martini3001 schrieb:
Gerade im Test unter RRv22...
Läuft 1a, smooth. Bin gespannt auf den Akkuverbrauch - berichte dann.

Schliesse mich Martini an, 1a dabei wollte ich fast auf die Abyss 3.7 zurück. Hatte bereits Gestern den Beitrag gelesen habe aber die Installtion auf Heute verschoben als die v2 für Heute angekündigt wurde!

Ist das bereits Final oder Beta?

Gruss

Habe den FrancoKernel V2 gerade unter RocketROM V22 geflasht. Schon komisch, wenn auf einmal nur 3 governors angeboten werden und nicht Dutzende (bei denen wahrscheinlich die meisten 90 % davon nie nutzen). In der App "2nd Core" kann man nicht mehr einstellen, ob "dynamic hotplug", "single core mode" oder "dual core mode", da Franco standardmäßig letztere Variante nimmt.

Ich bin auch mal auf den Akku-Verbrauch gespannt.

Semenchkare schrieb:
Habe den FrancoKernel V2 gerade unter RocketROM V22 geflasht. Schon komisch, wenn auf einmal nur 3 governors angeboten werden und nicht Dutzende (bei denen wahrscheinlich die meisten 90 % davon nie nutzen). In der App "2nd Core" kann man nicht mehr einstellen, ob "dynamic hotplug", "single core mode" oder "dual core mode", da Franco standardmäßig letztere Variante nimmt.

Ich bin auch mal auf den Akku-Verbrauch gespannt.

Du gehst da gleich ins eingemachte ins Kern ich hingegen verstelle rein gar nichts am Takt etc. mal sehen wie Deine Erfahrungen bis Morgenabend sind und die Meine, was den Akkuverbrauch angeht!

Extrem guter Kernel! Akkuverbrauch ebenfalls top. Nur zu empfehlen, vielen Dank an den Entwickler :)

läuft sehr sehr gut!!!Besser wie Abyss find ich!

Variante #1 hat bei mir zu einigen sleep-of-deaths geführt, mit dem kernel-cleaner-script wurde das dann besser, aber erst die Variante #2 des Kernels läuft nun seit knapp 24h einfach nur RUND, klasse Kernel !!! :scared:

Ist die Voodoo Louder Unterstützung drin?

Booooaaahhhh .... Leute.... vor lauter flashen komm ich überhaupt nicht dazu mein Note auch mal zum arbeiten zu benutzen. :flapper:

Ich lade gerade und probier. ;)

Nachtrag: meine Bootanimation ist geblieben. Recovery wieder schön in blau..... und Note mit Criskelo Rom v6 löpp. ;)
Wäre mal interessant eure speziellen Einstellungen zu erfahren. Ich hab den Kernel nackig drauf.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
du musst auch updaten auf die neuste Voodoo Louder Version. Aktuell 3.0.2 ist die neuste.

• Danke
Reaktionen: Trauer
Freu mich, dass da neue Kernels rauskommen. Aber leider wird man wie beim SpeedModKernel in Sachen UV, UC & OC eingeschränkt, wessen Sinn sich mir nicht erschließt.
Mit GoLauncher kommt dieser Kernel bei mir nicht an FM1.6 mit Lulz ran, was die Performance angeht.
Wenn sich hier wider erwarten doch jemand findet bei dem der Launcher flüssig läuft kriegt er nen “Danke“ von mir... :)

Bei mir ist es ebenso, dass der Kernel wunderbar läuft, nur im Go Laucher erreicht er nicht die flüssige Darstellung von Franks oder Angeloms Kernel.

Habe es mit und ohne diverse init.d Skripts probiert.

Viele Grüße

Lars

Sent from my Note from some place in the world!

HI
Kann jemand mal bitte eben eine Standard Kernel hochladen danke