Schummeln das HTC Desire und das Google Nexus One bei der Displayauflösung?

Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.
S

Sandmann

Ambitioniertes Mitglied
Habe gerade einen Artikel gelesen, der mich nachdenklich stimmt:

Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

Wer keine Lust hat den ganzen Artikel zu lesen, hier die wichtigsten Auszüge:

This final result of 392x653 in some sense describes the total effective addressable spatial resolution of the display, again sans signal processing. Conceptually—though this is not how the screen mapping is performed internally—you could think about this display as taking the 480x800 input image and scaling it down to 392x653 image, using subpixel positioning to reduce the apparent blurriness as much as possible.
Does it even matter what the effective resolution is?

We have repeatedly been told by both Google and HTC that the display is 480x800. Does it matter that it's hard to state categorically that the Nexus One's screen resolution is 480x800, at least the way pixels are normally counted? I think so.

The Droid's screen is dimmer and more washed-out than the N1's screen, but text is significantly sharper, to the point that the pixels on the Droid's screen are almost impossible to discern. I would trade resolution for some loss of color quality any day, because I look at a lot more text than photos on my phone. The fuzziness of text on the N1's display is visually distracting (at least to me), and it makes the screen much less functional when viewing zoomed-out webpages. It's also harder on the eye to read on the N1's screen, because when your eye sees something that looks fuzzy, it constantly tries harder to focus on it.[...]The result is that PenTile works great on the Nexus One screen when color photographs are being displayed—it just doesn't work as well for text because text is always displayed with high contrast to make it readable. And it's arguable that text display is the most important use-case to optimize for on a mobile phone screen.
Was meint ihr dazu? Vielleicht kann ja jemand, der ein importiertes Desire oder ein Nexus One besitzt mal ausprobieren, ob schwarz-weiß Fotos wirklich (teilweise) bunt werden, wenn man bis auf 100% ranzoomt. Auf Seite 3 sind da paar Test-Fotos, bei denen es sich so verhalten soll.

Im Artikel wird kurz auch die Problematik des Pixelsterbens beim Google Nexus One angesprochen, die sich ja auf das Desire übertragen ließe. Wisst ihr da mehr darüber?

There are numerous reasons that Nouvoyance gives on their website for why this subpixel layout is a good idea. One benefit of the double-sized red and blue subpixels is that it supposedly increases the life of the blue subpixels, which are prone to have much shorter lives than red or green at smaller sizes. I don't know for sure if pixel lifetime is related to pixel size, but there are numerous reports of dead and stuck pixels on Nexus One screens all over the Web, and my own phone developed a dead pixel after I had had it for a week.
Aber bevor ihr jetzt alle vom Kauf zurücktretet:

There's no need sell your phone on eBay after reading this, and don't change your mind about purchasing a Nexus One until you've had a chance to see the screen yourself. You may not even notice or care about the text reproduction issue. Only when compared with an extremely high-res LCD screen like on the Droid are the text fuzziness comments truly noticeable—and that's a high standard to hold the screen to.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Egal was da nun tatsächlich technologisch hintersteckt bzw. was für Spitzfindigkeiten zu einer anderen, als angegebenen Displayauflösung, kommen sollten, das Display des Desire ist das beste, was ich bisher bei einem Handy gesehen habe. Und ich kenne eigentlich jedes aktuelle Gerät dieser Bauart.

Danke für den sehr interessanten Artikel!

Im Prinzip steht dort, dass der AMOLED-Screen des N1 nicht die versprochene Auflösung hat, weil nicht jedes Pixel alle 3 Grundfarben enthält. Stattdessen gehört zu jedem grünen Subpixel abwechselnd ein doppelt großes blaues oder rotes Subpixel.

n1fig2.png

Deswegen könne man die Auflösung durch eine gewichtete Berechnung auf 392*653 taxieren (The total number of effective physical pixels, counted using a weighted sum, is (480*800/2)*2/3 + (480*800)*1/3 = 256,000, exactly two thirds the claimed total number of pixels (480*800=384,000). This is equivalent to a screen with edge dimensions sqrt(256/384)=82% of the claimed length, or (480*82%)*(800*82%) = 392*653 = 256k.).

Besser als das iPhone aber viel weniger als beworben und jedefalls schlechter als das Droid. Ein Effekt dieser Subpixelproblemtik ist übrigens die Tatsache, dass Buchstaben etwas unsauber dargestellt werden, sozusagen skaliert, und dadurch nicht so scharf angezeigt werden wie auf dem Droid.

Unschön, aber mal abwarten, wie sich das in der Praxis auswirkt. Wie man sieht: das beste Handy ist noch lange nicht perfekt ;)

Status
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.